Sunday, June 13, 2010

Hot Saturday Afternoon



A small weekend heat wave has arrived in San Francisco. The fog is promised back on Monday. I spent the afternoon gardening in the East Bay where the sun itself felt welcome, but the pictures I tried to take in the over-bright light turned out uniformly to be duds. Even in the shade, flowers seemed to shimmer and resist depiction.


Then too, my lightweight bargain-basement camera is undeniably falling apart. The battery compartment is held together with electrical tape, at this point, and the images that make their way onto the memory card are increasingly unpredictable.



Two years ago when the blog began I bought the camera (already past its sell-by date) on sale for less than a hundred dollars. At that time I didn't know if this whole Spencer Alley thing would even hold my interest, and I certainly didn't want to invest much money in it.


Early today, feeling disloyal, I caved in and ordered a new camera.